Wednesday, March 20
6 pm Networking
The program will begin promptly at 6:15 pm.
Latter Library, 5120 St. Charles Avenue
Join us for a topical discussion on the current state of affairs in Egypt under President Mohamed Morsi with Mr. Khaled Helmy. Mr. Helmy is a Ph.D. candidate at the Political Science Department of Harvard University.
- BA from the American University in Cairo (Political Science)
- Ph.D. candidate at Harvard (Political Science Department)
- Thesis deals with the political impact of the rise of religious parties in the Middle East on political liberalization and democratization and its connection to the sharpening of the divide between secularists and Islamists
- Research interests include: democratization, religion and politics, culture and politics, and civil society
- Spent 2010-11 academic year in Egypt during the revolution: conducted related field research from an insider’s perspective having taken part in the various protests
- Was in Egypt most recently this past Christmas break during the early stages of the current political crisis associated with the Constitutional Declaration and Morsi’s power grab.
Free and open to the public, Great Decisions is a discussion series with optional accompanying articles produced by the Foreign Policy Association. It is designed to create a more informed and engaged citizenry by bringing people together to talk about global affairs. WACNO’s Great Decisions series meets on the third Wednesday of the month.
The Great Decisions book containing the articles on these topics may be purchased from WACNO during any session for $20. For advance purchase or more information, please contact email@example.com.